Holiday Shows in New York City - New York City Article
Holiday Shows in New York City Follow @nyccitiview
From “The Nutcracker Ballet” to The Rockettes, the season comes to life each year through live music, classic holiday performances and traditional song. If you plan to visit NYC between now and New Year’s Eve, be sure to add some merriment to your itinerary and take in a few live holiday shows.
Radio City Christmas Spectacular, Through Jan. 2
For nearly 100 years, no Christmas in New York City has truly been complete without getting tickets to the Radio City Christmas Spectacular. Experience a real holiday wonderland in Midtown Manhattan with the Radio City Rockettes, including signature performances by the Wooden Soldiers, Rag Dolls and a spectacular live nativity scene. New acts are also added every year, and guests can always expect a surprise visit from Santa Claus himself!
The Nutcracker Ballet, Through Dec. 31
Get lost in the magic of George Balanchine’s “The Nutcracker” a classic ballet that embodies the spirit of the holidays each year in NYC. The timeless tale is sure to bring the imagination to life through elaborate settings, breathtaking costumes and world-class dance performed by the New York City Ballet in the David H. Koch Theater at the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts.
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer The Musical, Dec. 1-18
Head to The Theater at Madison Square Garden in Midtown to experience “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer,” a classic Christmas television special that has been transformed into a charming musical for families with kids of all ages. Expect to see all of your favorite characters, including Santa and Mrs. Claus, the elves and – of course Rudolph and his reindeer games.
Mariah Carey: All I Want for Christmas is You Dec. 5-17
Four shows have been added to this in-demand show by one of music’s biggest stars. Don’t miss the third annual version of the popular holiday concert series “Mariah Carey: All I Want for Christmas is You” at the Beacon Theatre in NYC. Concertgoers will thrill to the singer’s signature powerhouse vocals as she performs acclaimed music from two critically-acclaimed holiday albums.
Carnegie Hall & The New York Pops: ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas, Dec. 18
The entire family is invited to Carnegie Hall for this much-anticipated holiday concert with The New York Pops, led by Steven Reineke. Always a joy-filled occasion, this year the orchestra will celebrate the season with a musical rendition of “’Twas the Night Before Christmas,” bringing song, dance and plenty of surprises to the classic poem by Clement Clarke Moore.
MORE HOLIDAY SHOWS
• Nov. 28: Go Sing It On the Mountain: A Christmas Cantata, Lincoln Center Plaza.
• Dec. 1: A Boy is Born by Choir of St. Luke in the Fields, The Church of St. Luke in the Fields (Episcopal.)
• Dec. 3: Cyndi Lauper & Friends, Home for the Holidays to benefit the True Colors Fund, Beacon Theatre.
• Dec. 3: A Harlem Christmas Carol: All-New Merriment, Tato Laviera Theatre.
• Dec. 4: A Village Christmas Concert Featuring Handel’s Messiah, The First Presbyterian Church in the City of New York.
• Now Through Dec. 18: Ballerina Swan & Nutcracker, New York Children’s Theater.
• Dec. 6-24: A Christmas Carol, Merchant’s House Museum.
• Now Through Dec. 30: The Imbible: Christmas Carol Cocktails, The Producers Club.
• Dec. 11: The Bronx Concert Singers 35th Annual Holiday Concert: A British Yuletide, St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church.
• Dec. 11: 43rd Annual Merry Tuba Christmas, The Rink at Rockefeller Center
• Dec. 13-14: New York Philharmonic Performs Handel’s Messiah, David Geffen Hall.
• Dec, 13 & Dec. 15: Holiday Sounds in Zuccotti Park, Broadway & Liberty Street.
• Dec. 13-15: The First Noel: Harlem-Set Holiday Musical, Apollo Theater.
• Now Through Dec. 30: The Three Bears Holiday Bash, the Swedish Cottage Marionette Theatre in Central Park.
• Now Through Dec. 31: Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas, Theater at Blessed Sacrament.
• Now Through Jan. 1: Holiday Inn, The New Irving Berlin Musical, Studio 54.
• Now Through Jan. 8: Iluminate, Stage 1 New World Stages.