Lion King's Alton White - New York City Article
Lion King's Alton White
Alton Fitzgerald White is blessed to celebrate a decade-long journey as Mufasa in The Lion King. He has also starred on Broadway in Miss Saigon, The Who’s Tommy, Smokey Joe’s Café, Ragtime and The Color Purple. Other credits include “Law and Order” on TV, the film The Invention of Lying, directed by and starring Ricky Gervais, concerts around the world, voice-overs and commercial work.
We caught up witb Alton recently to ask him about his fondness for New York City:
1. When and why was your first trip to NYC?
I rode the bus, all the way from Chicago, in the late 1980s just to audition for a show at The Public Theatre.
2. Your favorite NYC nightspot?
CIELO in the Meat Packing District! The best funk, classic disco and house music in NYC, and a great place to sweat and dance on Wednesday nights after the show!
3. Your favorite NYC meal/restaurant?
Steak! Favorites are PORTERHOUSE at Time Warner Center, THE PALM on the East side and OLD HOMESTEAD in Chelsea.
4. Where was your first performance in NYC and with whom?
As an original cast member of MISS SAIGON on Broadway in 1991
5. Why is NYC such a great city to perform in?
NYC has the most sophisticated and international audiences in the world.
6. Are NYC audiences the toughest?
ABSOLUTELY! Myself included ; )
7. What comes to mind when you hear the phrase New York State of Mind?
What a tremendous blessing it is to live in this magnificent city of opportunity where hard work and passion are appreciated and rewarded.
8. Favorite overall thing about NYC?
That NYC is a cosmopolitan, 24 hour city!
9. Your favorite song about NYC?
Empire State of Mind by JAY-Z and Alicia Keys
10. Your favorite movie set in NYC?
THE WIZ starring Diana Ross and the late great Michael Jackson and Lena Horne