Best Kentucky-Made Products in Louisville - Louisville Article
Made In Kentucky: Best Products from the Bluegrass State Follow @nyccitiview
While Kentucky is famous for being the home of most bourbon distilleries and tours, the Bluegrass State also offers many other products that feature the unique character and flavor of Kentucky! Everything from candy and chocolate to racehorse liniment, soaps, furniture, unique stoneware and far more, producers in the state of Kentucky create a wide variety of high-quality products that are coveted around the world.
Made In Kentucky Gifts & Products
Of course, bourbon can be a key component in many other Kentucky food products, such as pepper, chocolate, candles, steak sauce and much more! Local producers have even found ways to utilize leftover bourbon barrels and related bourbon-making ingredients to enhance the flavor of just about anything you can imagine.
Here are some of our favorite things made in Kentucky right now - enjoy!
Major Products Made in Kentucky
- Bourbon Barrel Foods started out producing bourbon-enhanced Bluegrass Soy Sauce after company founder Matt Jamie discovered the similarities of distilling bourbon and soy sauce. Since the creation of Bluegrass Soy Sauce, Bourbon Barrel Foods has expanded its products to include smoked spices, artisan sugars, gourmet sauces and marinades, grill wood, sorghum, vanilla extract and a Woodford Reserve®-branded line. All of Bourbon Barrel Foods’ products incorporate innovative uses of bourbon barrels and are crafted with care in small batches.
- Art Eatables is a small-batch chocolatier that puts a special emphasis on bourbon-infused flavors. The Louisville-based company created the original Small Batch Bourbon Truffle in 2011 and all products are hand made in Kentucky. Art Eatables is a unique culinary experience and keeps the focus on pairing chocolates that enhance the flavors of various bourbons.
- Moss Hill is another Kentucky small-batch specialist, offering a variety of Kentucky-made gifts and pampering products, such as handmade soaps, lotions, candles, bath and massage oils. All products are handmade in small batches from their very own recipes and every item receives individual attention throughout each step of the creation process.
- Kern’s Kitchen has been producing their famous Derby Pie® for more than 50 years and this is definitely one of the most popular things made in Kentucky. What started out as a unique local dessert created by restaurateur George Kern at the Melrose Inn is now a worldwide favorite sold in the finest restaurants. The recipe of unique flavors that makes up this classic dessert is still a secret today!
- Cellar Door Chocolates first opened in 2007 as a small batch wholesale chocolate confectionery company serving up specialty Kentucky food gifts and other products based in Louisville. Since then, owner and chocolatier Erika Chavez-Graziano has built Cellar Door’s reputation on her handmade truffles, butter creams, sea salt caramels and wide selection of other delectable chocolate treats. Cellar Door Chocolates now has three retail locations open in Louisville.
- Wagner’s Pharmacy has been a major part of Kentucky Derby and Churchill Downs history since 1922. In addition to providing custom-made jockey silks and other tack products made in Kentucky, Wagner’s is also famous for their Racehorse Liniment. This liniment is an antiseptic and can also be used to treat bruises, minor injuries and superficial wounds.
- Stoneware & Co. has been making some of the world’s finest pottery products right here in Louisville, Kentucky, since 1815. Working with the basic elements of earth, water, air and fire, skilled artisans create timeless dinnerware, bakeware, flower pots and serving pieces that can be enjoyed and cherished for generations to come. Stoneware & co. offers a variety of tours, as well as the ability to create custom designs at their facility on Brent St. near downtown Louisville.
- M.A. Hadley Pottery was founded, in Louisville, by Mary Alice Hadley, in 1940. The compnay is still in the same location, producing handmade pottery with the same methods being used for over 75 years.Their unique handcrafted designs are favorites of collectors in all corners of the globe. Four generations of the Day family, the current owners, have been working at the plant soince its inception.
- A Taste of Kentucky has put in countless miles of travel through hills, hollows and rolling Bluegrass fields for more than 30 years to assemble the finest made in Kentucky products in the state. Enjoy Kentucky food items and other gifts, as well as Kentucky Proud® products and much more.
“Kentucky’s heritage is rich and full of artisans, large and small, creating unique and high quality foods, gifts, books and art," shared A Taste of Kentucky owner John Hassman. "We collect from only the finest and most unique to bring you the best that the Bluegrass has to offer. From famous Derby Pie to Bourbon candies and bourbon accessories, you’ll be amazed with the breadth of product available. Whether visiting one of our three convenient Louisville locations, or on our website, www.atasteofky.com, I promise an enjoyable and rewarding shopping experience, for a friend, valued corporate client or yourself.”