The Christmas Ales of Cleveland - Cleveland Article
The Christmas Ales of Cleveland
Thanks in large part to Cleveland’s industrial backbone, this once primarily blue-collar town is known for its beer. On a somewhat daily basis, it feels as though new breweries and beer bars are popping up on every street corner.
But who’s complaining?
So, when it comes to a visit during the holiday season, nearly all locals can agree—you’ve got to get your hands on a locally crafted holiday brew. And, there’s plenty of it.
Bar none the Cleveland standard for holiday ales is the spiced-up Great Lakes Christmas Ale. It’s certainly one of the most prevalent local beers available—but also one of the mightiest.
Brewed with a blend of honey, cinnamon and ginger, this Christmas-in-your-mouth ale kicks in pretty fast—thanks to the 7.5 ABV mixed with a copious amounts of sugar. If you really want to experience this holiday ale, get your glass rimmed with honey and brown sugar.
Another popular holiday brew is the Thirsty Dog Brewing Company’s 12 Dogs of Christmas Ale. Coming out of this famous Akron-based brewery, 12 Dogs has flavors of toasted and caramel malts mixed with honey, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. It’s Santa in a bottle.
Want to warm-up with another local craft beer? Check out these Cleveland brews only available during the holiday season:
- Black Box Brewing Company: Cleveland’s Own Christmas Ale
- Buckeye Brewing (Buckeye Brew Engine): Buckeye Christmas Girl
- Double Wing Beer: Peppermint Stick Porter
- Fat Head’s Brewery: Holly Jolly Christmas Ale
- Fat Head’s Brewery: Pimp My Sleigh Belgian-Style Christmas Ale
- Forest City Brewery: Shinny Spiced Belgian Quad Holiday Ale
- Goldhorn Brewing: St. Clairsmas Stout
- Great Lakes Brewing Company: Great Lakes Christmas Ale
- Hoppin Frog Brewery: Frosted Frog Christmas Ale
- Lager Heads Brewing Company: Winter Mischief Amber Ale
- Market Garden Brewery: Festivus
- Platform Brewing Company: Bunny Pajamas
- The Bottlehouse Brewery: Snow Day Winter Warmer
- The Brew Kettle: Winter Warmer Spiced Christmas Ale
- The Butcher and the Brewer: Spice Spice Baby Christmas Ale
- The Chardon BrewWorks: The Third Gift Christmas Ale
- The Cleveland Brewery: Cleveland Street Xmas Ale
- Thirsty Dog Brewing: 12 Dogs of Christmas Ale
- Willoughby Brewing Company: Wenceslas Spiced Ale
Welcome! Please subscribe to our blogs to learn about fun and exciting things to do in each city!
Our featured blog is “Will’s New York Nite Life"
If you enjoy Jazz and live performances, be sure to subscribe for the latest previews and reviews of NYC’s best entertainment!
Will Friedwald also writes about music and popular culture for the Wall Street Journal, Vanity Fair, The Observer, and is a renown American author.